Monday, May 07, 2007

The Bull

This weekend, I went to Daegu to go rock climbing. While I knew that this weekend was Children's Day and that next week was Parent's Day, I really didn't know what that would do to the public transportation system. I ended up getting standing room on both the bus there and back (which turned into me sitting in the aisle, because that's how I roll and I wasn't going to stand for more than 2 hours on a moving bus). Sitting cross-legged on the floor of a bus with my head on my bag in my lap proves that if I set my mind to it, I can fall asleep in any moving vehicle.

I found the shop that sells rock climbing gear and bought shoes (and do you know how long it has been since I have been able to REALLY go shoe shopping? FOREVER.) and even though I had the people at the shop write down the directions to the crag in Korean for the taxi driver, it was a mess. I was collected by a friend on his way out there after getting to within about a quarter of a mile. Thankfully, he answered his cell phone. I got my harness, sent a climb for the first time since Chaing Mai, did a lot of belaying, and had a great time.

The next day, we went to The Bull. Will post pictures. Three of us got there early to meet the guy with the tools and equipment we needed to set stuff up, and by the time the others were coherent the basics were set up for people to start climbing. It was too much for me to get more than a few meters up, so I played a bit on the bouldering wall we set up and watched other people do some pretty fancy climbing.

Things I learned this weekend:
1.) While I can understand and make myself understood at least a little in Jeollanamdo, there is a dramatic difference in how easily I can communicate in other parts of Korea.
2.) In a small town, taxi drivers know where everything is. This isn't the case in bigger cities. DUH.
3.) When people start getting unnecessarily loud and dramatic, I shut down and practice avoidance.
4.) Group sleeping arraignments means that I will get almost no sleep whatsoever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooooo - can't wait to see the pictures.

xoxo

V

Unknown said...

I'm eager to see the Jakob pictures too. Love, Mom

Jess said...

Mom, how much did Virgina pay you to say that?

And I am charging the batteries as we speak, though I didn't actually get many pictures and I'm waiting for the others to post them.