Friday, May 18, 2007

question about electronics

Because y'all know a lot more about this than I do...

This is a question about electronics. The current here is 220v. The adapter for my Garmin Forerunner is 120 (input: 120vac, 60hz, 10w output: 5vdc 400mA). My limited understanding is that in order to use this adapter, I would need both a plug adapter (from blade to pin) and a step-down transformer. The other option would be to get a new AC/DC adapter here. Am I correct in assuming that I would need to make sure that the output matches this one? Or is that something that is pretty standard? Basically, I think it might be easier/cheaper to find a new adapter rather than finding a transformer, but I REALLY don't want to mess up the Forerunner with an experiment (I fried the AC adapter for my battery charger my first week here).

Am I thinking about this correctly? Which would be the easiest way to go?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm. Hmm. I'm not at all good with anything practical.
Could you buy a new forerunner here???

Jess said...

While I suppose I COULD, it would by far be the most expensive option (as in, in the $200 ballpark).

This weekend will be so much fun!

MUD said...

Asking the blogosphere about the correct way to wire 220 overseas is just asking for trouble. Most of us would guess do a half assed job of connecting and only 110 will fry, er flow into the item. Had the same problem in Germany and never did figure it out there either. Eat Kim chi and drink Korean beer and you can produce your own current (when you can figure out how to convert Methane to electricity) Hope you get it right. MUD