Tuesday, November 21, 2006

a list of suck

1. I just found out that last year, the teacher who had my job had to be at school every day other than what was taken as part of the vacation guaranteed by the contract. Most foreign teachers don't have to come to school when there isn't a single thing for us to do. Instead, it looks like I will have to be here if my "learning about Korean culture" excuse doesn't fly.

2. My winter break plans just fell through, and right now I'm not sure what I will be doing. At all. So the whole having to sit at my desk for 5 weeks might not matter.

3. My weekend escape to Seoul just fell through.

4. Everyone will be getting into Indiana in the next few days and I really want to be at home right now.

5. The iSight that I ordered so I would be able to video conference with folks at home hasn't arrived yet.

So overall, I'm not the best of company.

2 comments:

MUD said...

Jess,
What a great chance to catch up on your reading. I would also try to write down some of the adventures you have had while they are fresh. Years from now you will be glad to have them.
Yes, you have discovered the one real big "suck" about being away from family during the holidays. Try to find as many lonely other Americans there and have a Christmas with them. I would encourage you to find trhe nearest US Military installation and see if they have some programs there where they have dances, activities, get togethers for young people. You just might find a friend there that will help you feel less isolated. I hope you can find someone that is serving a Turkey instead of being the turkey for Thanksgiving. Perhaps a Duck? Dennis

Ms Parker said...

Sweetie.... there are always options... and you are entitled to a vacation!

See you this weekend at Daewonsa. Sounds like you need some Buddhist calm about now.

xoxo

Virginia