Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Mittens

In an attempt to distract myself, I have started to look for a good mitten pattern. It may also have something to do with the fact that my school is cold. Like, really cold. Anyway.

* An aside: A really good distraction technique is to knit complicated cables. While watching Bittorrented TV, if possible. It is almost impossible to think about anything else.

It started with seeing these at Eunny Jang's site, and falling in love with them. But as I have a cabled hat on the needles that I need to either figure out or rip out (and the pattern isn't up yet), I wanted to think about cabled mittens.

I can't find what I'm looking for right now, but I DID see these socks on Eunny's site: here which is exactly what I want, only mittens. I would probably need to take out about 1.5-2 inches due to gauge and the difference between mitten and sock diameter, which could be done by getting rid of a smaller cable pattern on either side of the main cable, I think. What I haven't started to look for yet is a good tutorial for creating a thumb gussett. I used to have the glove article by Interweave Knits which goes into thumb guessetts in detail, and have yet to attempt the mighty Google, but if anyone either knows of a cabled mitten pattern OR knows of a good on-line tutorial for thumbs, I'd appreciate it.

No comments: