Wednesday, November 15, 2006

lists.

1.) After a weekend with a friend who ran a 10K with the Canadian flag tied around his neck like a cape and posing behind said flag after the race, I've realized that I have nothing with a US flag on it. I'd like to put a flag sticker (maybe 2-3" across or so) on my bike and probably my helmet, too, to make it more distinctive and less prone to theft. If anyone wants to help me with this, I would appreciate it, and would be happy to send something cute and Korean to you in return. Also, little things like pens/pencils with flags, university names, states, and state or US themed stickers, would be super-useful as token gifts for people who help me out with stuff. Basically, if you can find it in a Stuckey's, that is the kind of thing that would be awesome. But please no pecan rolls. Those are gross.

2.) Another day of random schedule changes. Today, because there was a volleyball tournament for the men (and one token woman/team) from the three schools in town and the police/fire fighters. Or something.

3.) I was sent home with a TON of food. Okay, maybe not a ton, but about 10 tangerines, more than a pound of tofu, and and LOT of dok (sticky rice cakes).

4.) If anyone wants dok, come on over. Seriously.

5.) There are some new folks who have just moved to Gwangyang, and it is really good for me to realize that I DO know something about functioning here. I don't know many people in town (I've been visiting friends for at least half the weekends I've been in Korea) but I know how to navigate public transportation to at least a competent degree, can read enough Hangul to figure out where I am, and know how to find what I need. All good things.

3 comments:

Ms Parker said...

It's so funny that you posted about not having a US flag.... I just commented on your Flickr that I was wondering where the Stars and Stripes are.

I think it's a Canadian thing: We bring our flag everywhere... probably because our flag can't generally be found elsewhere (like, the Union Jack is practically its own clothing line logo: Ask Enquired in Korea uses it as a logo).

In Saudi Arabia, I used to do the Pledge of Allegiance every morning to the US flag (I did occasionally pipe up loudly "But I'm Canadian!", and get hushed by my teacher who was probably like "Yeah, I know!")

Would have made the pic even better if you guys had been able to represent too!

MUD said...

Jess,
I can't believe that as much as is made in Korea there isn't at least one good source for flag stuff there in your town. In the service there were Korean tailors by every military base that could sew military insignias directly on the uniforms. Is there a US Military base anyway near by. I would bet there are shops that sew stuff everywhere near them. The new trend is away from stick on things like bumper stickers and now it is cloth stickers and velcro. You can change your identity or be anonymous if you desire. It is a shame that US citizens can't shop at US bases oversea's. Is there an US embassy or office any where near you?
Dennis Petty

Jess said...

MUD said...
In Seoul, there is more than you could possibly imagine. Here? Not so much, or at least not that I'm aware of. No idea where the nearest base is - maybe Busan? Which is a while away via bus. And I'm pretty sure there is only the Embassay in Seoul, but I don't know for sure.

And MAN, what I'd give to be able to shop on base!! I'd WALK to Busan for that!