Sunday, November 12, 2006

Today the race went really well. I smashed my previous best time (and best-ever training time) by coming in at 28:52. The last 5k race I ran was in July, and I had a 32:55 or something like that, and the best I've had on the treadmill was 30:35.

Yesterday evening a friend came over to help me cover the trip for the race, afterwhich I left for Suncheon, got on the fastest bus there EVER, and hung out with friends and it was AWESOME. I laughed really hard, ate banana bread, and found out that there are three other foreigner women who have "lost" their wallets on a bus in the somewhat recent past. Either there are a bunch of forgetful folks, or we all should be a lot more careful.

We got up this morning, and after Virginia made us an awesome breakfast - which was supplemented by Kashi Go-Lean Crunch from Carol!!! - and got together with a couple other folks who were running.

For some reason, they wanted all the foreigners at the front, and it turned out that we were grouped with the folks with handicaps or other special needs who left four minutes before the rest of the race. In thinking back, it was probably both for the photo op and to keep one of us from winning, because that kind of stuff happens here.

The weather wasn't as cold as I thought it would be, and although the wind was evil on the first half, it was sunny and beautiful. The run felt good, and I am so glad I did it! I would love to find a way to really be able to train for a longer distance in the reasonably near future. The challenge will be finding a place that isn't a treadmill to run.

1 comment:

MUD said...

During the Depression here in the US (1930's) a bank robber named John Dillenger was asked why he robbed Banks. He said, "Thats where the money is."
Glad the run went well. Are Banannas available there in Korea as much as they are here in the US? I make bannana bread at least once a month. About the time you would throw a bannana away because it has gone bad is when it is the best in bread.