Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Doughnuts for breakfast, ice cream for lunch.

Last weekend I went up to Seoul to see my brother and his girlfriend. It was the second time I've been up there to do anything other than just catch a plane, and I was again reminded about how little I know about what touristy things to do in Seoul. My rechargeable batteries are about to bite the dust, so I don't have a ton of photos on my own camera - I'll upload the few I do have and then will get some from Dave and Shannon.

More than anything, it was great to be able to see family, and while I'm still really looking forward to going home in a month, it was great to be with people who have known me for more than a few months.

It was also interesting for me to see Korea again through different eyes, and see how much I've adjusted to being here. The little bits of Korean make a huge difference, as does an overall familiarity with how things work. Though let's just say that I might seriously consider a flight at least one way next time because that is a LOT of time on a bus. As in, about 10 hours all told. YIKES.

Also, I am developing a plan of attack for introducing people to Korean food that hopefully will make things a little more smooth for future guests. I realized that when I go to Seoul, it is usually to eat food other than Korean. Also, when I go out for Korean food here, it is usually with folks who know where to go and what to order or it is a place we go all the time. A plan is being formulated that will hopefully prevent the "ice cream for lunch" because it is easy and familiar. Though I do think the ice cream was a step above the other option, McDonald's...

No comments: