Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Jeju run

sign

Last weekend some friends and I traveled to Jeju for the 12th Jeju Marathon Festival. Julia and I ran our first 10k races, and Sloane and Monique ran the half marathon (Monique's first half).

People in Jeju are really nice. Like, going-out-of-their-way-for-you nice, like the taxi driver who didn't charge me when he got confused about where to go and made sure I was in the right place, or the women who ran the hotel we were stayed in, or my friend's boss who drove me to the airport so I didn't have to run to catch the shuttle. Really great folks.

The night before the race:
We decided to make dinner in the hotel since we had a lovely little kitchenette, and there was much silliness.
monique

I laughed a LOT. Like, got to the point where I was laughing because I couldn't stop laughing. Good times.

We woke to cold and gray. There were several muttered "screw-you Jeju!"'s as we got ready to head to the shuttle at 7:30 in the morning (!!!). I blame the early hour and nerves for the bus photos.

Pre-race:
badasses.jpg
Don't mess with us.

bus.jpg
On the shuttle to the race

more bus silliness:
Monique and I on the bus
foolishness

During the pre-race:
Those Canadian girls are tough
pre-race

The four of us
prerace.jpg

The field before the race
monique and the pre-race

There was one other Westerner running, and so while there was a Japanese translator (indicating there must have been a pretty big Japanese group there) we were a pretty visible minority. My friend Dan's boss wanted to meet us at the race, and as a way to tell her how to find us I said, "Well, we are a group of 4 tall white women. We should be pretty hard to miss." Indeed.

Race:
Right after the race started, the sun came out. It was a beautiful course, with waves crashing against white beaches and black lava rocks, and clear blue and green water that looked a bit unreal. There was enough of a breeze that although it ended up being hotter than I expected given the start to the day, it wasn't too bad at all.

jeju

The run felt good. Every time there was a camera on the course, it was aimed at me, but it was balanced by the kids and other folks cheering as I ran past. At the end, even the police officers lining the entrance to the stadium were clapping and shouting - it was awesome.

Finish:
finish.jpg
dork-tastic, but happy

Julia and me after the race
scarf

This guy ran the race in this get-up. When we asked him why, he replied "I am Japanese," as if that was reason enough.
strange dude

Post-race:
I had to leave to get to the airport soon after my friend Dan showed up at the race
Me and Dan,
but I was able to see Monique finish (I think I just missed Sloane's finish - dang it!) and his boss Michelle (popping in behind us) gave me a ride to the airport. I didn't get to see much of Jeju at all, but the race was awesome, I got to hang out with some pretty amazing friends, and I was able to do something I wasn't sure I was going to be able to accomplish.


at the finish line

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first 10 k!
The race was great. The Japanese man dressed as a chicken was also great, I'm glad someone got a picture of him. Did you see the girl who ran in the short cheerleader skirt?
You should convince your friend Dan to join Facebook. I need more friends. Because I'm a loser who wears a fanny pack, nobody will talk to me. Sigh.

Ms Parker said...

Girl - you're wicked awesome!

Jess said...

M - I saw the girl in the skirt before the race, but I didn't see her actually running.

And it is a running hydration waist pack. You are too cool for a fanny pack.

V - Thank you! I think you are pretty cool, too!

simlee said...

Hello. My name is Simon and I am visiting Gwangyang this summer. I am a 16 year old Korean from New Jersey, with limited Korean :-/. I am going to stay here for about a month, but I don't know how to spend my time. I was wondering if it is possible to accompany you at your school. I will be able to see how Koreans go to school, and I might be able to meet new people. Spending a month with grandparents alone is never any fun. So please respond and consider this. Thank you.

Jess said...

Simon,

You are welcome to visit my school! When will you be in Gwangyang? School is over for the summer semester July 20th and starts again about a month later.

Do you know where your grandparents live in Gwangyang? The town is pretty spread out, but if you want, I could try to get in touch with some friends who are teaching in high schools near you to see if they have any students who have good English skills who could show you around while you are here.

You can send me an email at: ofrecklessnessandwater AT gmail DOT com.