Tuesday, June 19, 2007

UGH. Or how Jessica is becoming even more of a germophobe

It is starting to get pretty hot here, and since there are no water fountains there has been a parade of students getting drinks from the water cooler in the teachers' room.

They are rinsing - not even close to washing - the same 4 or 5 little metal cups. There were at least 30 during the last passing period of the day.

I was teased a little at the volleyball tournament last month because I drank out of my nalgene instead of from the bottles that people were handing around. It was "Jessica's special water," but at least it wasn't the same cup/bottle that everyone else was using. UGH.

Add this to the complete absence of soap in most of the bathrooms.

Very often I am reminded of one of the teachers I worked with when I was in New Orleans who refused to touch a doorknob without a tissue or handkerchief.

I'm thinking she was on to something.

In other news, the last time I was in E-mart I found hand sanitizer, and on the list of things I will be buying in the US are little bottles I can refill and carry around with me.

3 comments:

Ms Parker said...

I don't leave home without hand sanitizer now..... especially since starting at the elementary school.

MUD said...

When I started substitute teaching I wanted to take all the kids home with me. After about a month of wiping noses and watching the germs spread now the first thing I want to do is wash my hands and the last thing I want is a hug from those germy rascals. After a year in Vietnam I could eat about anything anywhere and drink from almost any glass. MUD

Jess said...

V. - I'm just worried about the whole overuse of anti-bacterial stuff. Today I bought some babywipes to carry around (little packs) and a bigger package to keep at my desk.