Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Last night was the first really really bad night of insomnia that I have had in a long time. I think a lot of it is stress, and I'm sublimating that into worry about the size of the apartment I'll be moving into. I knew going in that it was small, and it is. Small. But to put it in perspective, the living area is bigger than the horrible studio in Ohio, and it doesn't have the cave-like dark wood, so it could be worse. Also, it has air conditioning. So it isn't horrible. At least I got something good out of the no sleep - I finished unraveling a sweater and untangles the super-slippery silk yarn that was making a mess.

Anyway.

Next week is testing at my school, and then there are only two weeks left in the semester, so basically, I'll have one last lesson here. Because one of the weeks will be over the 4th of July and since the will not likely be another person from the US at this school next year, I am going to make it all about the USA.

I found the Preamble to the Constitution from Schoolhouse Rocks on YouTube, but really, how do you put all of US history into a 45 minute lesson for ESL students at the end of the semester in a stifling classroom?

3 comments:

MUD said...

Once upon a time at least 20 years ago I started to have insomnia and I really suffered from the effects of no/little sleep. I mentioned it to a friend and he said caffeine did it to him. I am the guy that has had a cup of coffee to relax me and gone right to bed in the past. (probably a little bit of the ritilin effect) He said that he drinks coffee in the AM but at noon he stops cold turkey. That day I drank my last caffeine at noon and by the time I got home I was flagged out. I ate dinner and fell asleep on the couch. About 10 AM the next morning my wife woke me ans asked if I was going to sleep all day. Watch you intake of cokes, pepsi and tea after noon and see if that has any effect on your not sleeping. Good Luck. MUD

MUD said...

PS, a nephew has sleep apnia and he wears a CPAP to force him to breath at night. Since he started that, he has turned into a really charming fellow from a guy who was a grump and could not sleep. His new wife said it is a little like sleeping with Darth Vader to hear the machine work but on the times they lost electricity, he just sits up as he knows no sleep is better for him than bad sleep. MUD

Anonymous said...

Hello Jessica,

My name is Chris I'm also an English teacher and I found out about your blog through Canadian Connection. I've just finished teaching in Poland and planning to teach in Korea, more specifically in Gwangyang. If it's not too much trouble I'd like to ask you a few questions about the area. My email address is chrisneem@hotmail.com, I would be eternally grateful for an information.