Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Life

Yesterday as I was walking to and from the gym after school, it was almost constant, "Hi, Jessheka!! Jessheka!! Hi!! Hello!!" the whole way. Children hanging out of windows from after school hogwans (private schools), kids hanging out at game rooms, walking home from study sessions. To the point where some parents turned and looked at me and said, "Jessheka?" as I walked past.

There is no anoynomity. At all.

I knew that going in, but I didn't think that every walk - to the gym, to the market, to school - would be almost constant calling out to me.

There is SO much similarity between middle school kids everywhere. The same shrieks in the hallways, the same desperation and fear of acknowledgment, the same glow of happiness when you remember a name, the same sighs of exasperation. If it is now in a language I just let wash over me, it is not much different from the crash of noise in New Mexico or New Orleans.

Today I played in both the women's and the men's volleyball game (there were a couple of other women invited to play, though we weren't really allowed to do much) and hit the gym after. Tomorrow I will be practicing for the team that competes against other area schools. I've been eating lunch in the cafeteria for the past couple days, trying to connect more with the other teachers at my school, trying to get used to the flavors of Korea.

I can't understand most of the words I hear, but I can understand that people are glad I am trying to become a part of the school. The people at my school are kind, and just by showing up, I am becoming more a part of this place.

There are still frustrations, but they are the same kind of frustrations of moving to a new place, only now they are compounded by an inability to communicate and the need to be dependent on others to find out basic information. There are also the stupid life frustrations of not getting the email you wanted to get, or having to deal with credit card companies, or not having access to decent gym equipment. That is the same no matter what the language.

This weekend I'm going to stay here. I will probably try out the new gym and run along the mountain trail. I will explore the shops along the main street, and MAYBE take the bus to Jung-ma Dong to see what is available there. I will read and sleep as late as I can, and buy vegetables and cook something other than rice or boiled eggs.

I will start to make this place more mine.

No comments: