Friday, September 01, 2006

Last night, I noticed that one of the bakeries near my house had french bread. After a disappointing roll/cookie bakery experience, I was a little hesitant. After some charades of "sweet" (me pointing to the cakes) and "NOT sweet?" (pointing to the bread) the shopkeeper and I determined that it was bread that was not sweet, something that is rather rare from what I can gather. I'm at the point where I'm actually fantasizing about whole wheat tortillas or multi-grain bread, and at least having not-sweet bread was something. And it was cheap and good.

Things overall are good. The sun is out and it isn't horribly humid - I have my hopes that my laundry will actually dry (though I haven't yet figured out how to make the washer do a cycle that is less than an hour) and it is beautiful outside. I feel like I'm starting to settle in at least a bit, and while I'm still frustrated by basic things (like how I can manage to get the boiler to let me have a hot shower one day but not the next) they are manageable frustrations.

I just got a message that they will be at my apartment to set up internet tonight at about 5. This is a beautiful thing. Also, one of the teachers told me where there was a trail very near my house that can either be a hike up the mountain or a flat run around it. I am unspeakably pleased by this. I'm trading explanations of idioms and slang for maps and bus schedules from him, and I think he is the head of the English department. It works out well for both of us, though I fear he is going to pick up an awful lot of American slang, as I find it almost impossible to not to use "awesome" or "cool" as interjections, in addition to the rest of the stuff that I say without thinking.

No comments: